Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Masters Theme Song



A lot of you might not know this: The theme song you're listening to while the Masters is being played every April is called "Augusta" by Dave Loggins. And yes it actually has words. He wrote the song around 1980, with lyrics help from photographer (and author) Frank Christian. They then took it to CBS, which now uses the instrumental version extensively throughout Masters coverage.

"Well, it's springtime in the valley on Magnolia Lane;

It's the Augusta National and the master
of the game.

Who'll wear that green coat on Sunday
afternoon?

Who'll walk that 18th fairway singing
this tune?

"Augusta, your dogwoods and pines,
they play on my mind like a song.

Augusta, it's you that I love,
it's you that I miss when I'm gone

"Well, it's Watson, Byron Nelson,
and Demaret, and Player and Snead,

And it's Amen Corner,
and it's Hogan's perfect swing;

It's Sarazen's double eagle
at the 15th in '35,

And the spirit of Clifford Roberts
that keeps it alive.

"Augusta, your dogwoods and pines,
they play on my mind like a song.

Augusta, it's you that I love, it's you that I miss when I'm gone.

"It's the legions of Arnie's Army and the Golden Bear's
throng, Wooden-shafted legend, Bobby Jones."


Source


Click to enlarge!

Masters week has always been a special week for me. My love of golf.. My love of that beautiful golf course.. Its influence on my golf course design.. But mainly because The Masters is always taking place at the same time as my parents' wedding anniversary (April 6th), as well as my father's birthday (April 13). This year is especially tough since I lost my dad last September, but I'm pretty sure he's watching from the best seat in the house. I always remember him saying "if there's a golf course in Heaven, it's Augusta National".

I agree Dad - I miss you!

1 comment:

  1. I certainly agree with your comments.

    However, no one, not even Jim Nantz, will comment on why CBS dropped the full lyrics version from their opening each year. Truly, these words reflect the history of not only the Masters but of today's game as we know it.

    ReplyDelete